Health Security DrPH Research Scholarship
The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security is excited to announce the availability of a Health Security Scholarship to support DrPH students in their dissertation research.
The awards are supported by grant funding from Open Philanthropy (OP) and aim to support DrPH students who are focusing all or part of their dissertation research on issues related to Global Catastrophic Biological Risks (GCBRs), such as severe pandemics.
The grant will be a one-time $10k award per student. Up to 2 students per year in 2023, 2024, and 2025 will receive the award to support their dissertation research.
- You must be a current JHSPH DrPH student who has passed your Concentration Preliminary Oral Examination (students in any concentration/track may apply).
- You must have completed a draft of your dissertation proposal.
- Your dissertation proposal must include at least one component focusing on GCBRs
Timing of Award
- Applications will open on July 15 each year and will be due on August 31 at 11:59PM Eastern Time. Decisions will be made by September 30.
Suggested Use of Funds
- Funds will be provided in a lump sum to the awardee. There is no restriction on the use of funds, but the intended use is to offset research expenses, pay for academic-related travel or supplies, or offset tuition expenses during proposal preparation and dissertation research.
- Applications can be submitted through the Submittable website
- Applications are due by August 31, 2023
- To apply, you will need:
- A 1-page cover letter detailing the topic you intend to research, including what GCBR-related research you will conduct and how you intend to use the funds
- The date that you passed your Concentration Preliminary Oral Examination
- Your CV
- Your dissertation proposal document
- Applications will be evaluated by Center for Health Security faculty.
- Award decisions will be communicated by September 30 each year.
- Students are only eligible to receive this grant once during their DrPH program. If you apply for this grant and are not selected, you are allowed to reapply in future years if you meet the qualification criteria.
Please contact Sarah Firestone at firstname.lastname@example.org